About Us
History

Previous Headmasters

Craig W. Larimer Jr. '69, 2007-2013

Craig W. Larimer Jr. ’69 P '04, '07, '09, '12 had served the School in multiple leadership roles including class agent, president of the Alumni Association, trustee and board president before being named headmaster. Under his leadership, the School renovated and expanded the chapel and the dining room, built a new faculty triplex, the Hanna Family Equestrian Center, the Welcome Center and a track. Holistic land management practices were initiated, the solar dorms were restored, and solar panels added to the Science Building. New courses instituted included Mandarin Chinese, robotics, AP Computer Science and AP Economics. A Freshman Transitions course was initiated and a Global Scholar Diploma was created. FVS joined Round Square, extending its outreach to the global community.
 

John E. Creeden, Ph.D. 1995-2007

Jack Creeden's leadership brought the School a new vision of its special niche in the world of independent secondary education. He continued the emphasis of his predecessors on high standards of academic and personal excellence as essential ingredients in shaping a meaningful life. Under his leadership, the School developed new curricular opportunities, expanded the number of honors and advanced placement courses, instituted a new faculty evaluation system, and strengthened the college placement record of its graduates. During his tenure, Fountain Valley completed a $24 million capital campaign, which included new construction, renovations to existing buildings, the establishment of new endowments for scholarships, and technology initiatives.

Eric S. Waples 1987-1995

Eric S. Waples, a longtime history teacher at Fountain Valley, became the School's fifth headmaster in 1987. During his tenure, the physical plant saw dramatic growth and change. The magnificent Tutt Visual Arts Center, fondly called The Art Barn, was renovated, and the Performing Arts Center was relocated next to the Penrose Gym. In addition, the Kitson Music Center, the Frautschi Campus Center, and a state-of-the-art science building were built.

Timothy Knox 1978-1987

Timothy Knox set about defining the challenges to Fountain Valley's continued excellence and establishing priorities for confronting those challenges. Both the enrollment goals and admission standards were raised. FVS gave greater emphasis to fundraising and internal management in order to effect needed improvements in faculty compensation and facilities use. Two solar heated dormitory units were completed; annual giving was increased from $173,000 in 1978 to $329,000 in 1982; the scholarship budget increased proportionately, and programs were introduced to encourage greater interaction of students and faculty outside of the regular classroom setting.

Lewis Perry Jr. 1958-1978

Lewis Perry Jr. became headmaster in 1958, beginning a 20-year career during which Fountain Valley would undertake major changes in its plant, implement innovative programs, and increase enrollment from 85 to more than 200. During Perry's tenure, the formal scholarship program was instituted, enabling the School to achieve greater diversity in the makeup of the student body. For the first time, Fountain Valley made available funds to aid faculty in their professional development. And, it was under Perry’s leadership that Fountain Valley broadened its student body to include a significant number of day students and, in 1975, girls.

Henry Poor 1951-1958

Henry Poor brought with him from Deerfield Frank Boyden's special concern for addressing the physical and spiritual aspects of young people's development. During his tenure, the School expanded both its intramural and extramural sports programs, built a gymnasium that is now part of the Penrose Sports Center and started the Carlton Chapel. Now known as The Lewis Perry Jr. Chapel, it is one of the best-known landmarks on the campus.

Francis M. Froelicher 1930-1950

Every year, Mr. Froelicher used to tell the new students gathered for the first time at The Hacienda that each one of them "was in a position to write his own history." This theme ran like a bright thread through the whole fabric of school life. From classroom to studio, to playing field, the purpose was the same: to cultivate in each student an awareness that his was the opportunity to make a life worth living; it was also his responsibility. The Froelicher era spanned the Depression, World War II and the beginning of postwar prosperity. His leadership had taken Fountain Valley from an idea to reality—a growing, vital institution firmly established as a force in college-preparatory education.
6155 Fountain Valley School Road, Colorado Springs, CO 80911