Fountain Valley School is a co-ed, college-preparatory boarding/day school enrolling 230 students in grades 9-12. Founded in 1930, the School provides a rigorous, global curriculum in academics, arts, athletics and the outdoors in a diverse community to develop young adults who are courageous, open-minded, self-reliant, curious, and compassionate. This position reports directly to the Chair of the Science Department. S/he is responsible for teaching four science courses (chemistry and advanced chemistry.)
- Teach four sections (4) of chemistry and/or science elective
- Serve as a collaborative team member in the Science Department (5 faculty members) with a focus on inspired and hands-on teaching
- In collaboration with the department chair and other faculty maintain an up-to-date scope and sequence document for the science department
- Coach two seasons of athletics/afternoon activities
- Serve as an advisor to approximately 6 students
- Participate in a class level retreat along with other faculty members
- Participate in committees as assigned (i.e. Land Use Committee, Environmental Sustainability Committee, etc.)
- Participate in co-leading an Interim trip (spring experiential learning trip)
- Serve as a member of a weekend and weeknight duty team (1 weeknight a week, and 9 weekends a year)
Knowledge and Skills:
- Extensive knowledge of campus and surrounding area.
- Ability to work with individuals in a courteous and professional manner.
- Ability to remain calm and supportive in the midst of a crisis.
- Demonstrate ability to effectively communicate in a team environment.
- Detail oriented, organized, self-motivated, self-directed and punctual.
- Ability to work independently, prioritize tasks, and manage multiple tasks at one time.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficient in Blackbaud OnCampus, Microsoft Word, Excel, and Google Educational Suite Apps.
Four (4) year college degree in science or a related discipline required; master’s preferred
Experience with classroom teaching and working with students and adults in an independent boarding/day school environment.
Environment: indoor office working with some outdoor events
Physical demands: able to sit and stand for at least 8 hours per day; occasional after hours, weekend and/ or weeknight obligations. Must be able to lift 40 lb.
Attendance at certain events will be required
Working relationships: students, parents, outside vendors, and all other employees
FVS’ Core Values are courage, open-mindedness, self-reliance, curiosity, and compassion. FVS supports a culture of communication and collaboration with the intent of creating an environment of predictability and support for our students, parents, and colleagues. FVS employees celebrate diversity, participate fully in the school community, embrace the power of the prairie, the peaks, and the history of the School. FVS teaching faculty challenge students, create opportunities for learning and growth beyond the academic day, employ innovative teaching methods, and pursue professional and personal development through lifelong learning.
Fountain Valley School of Colorado provides a rigorous, global curriculum in academics, arts, athletics and the outdoors in a diverse community to develop young adults who are courageous, open-minded, self-reliant, curious and compassionate.
Send letter of application, resume and list of three professional references to:
Fountain Valley School of Colorado
Colorado Springs, CO 80911