Fountain Valley School is a co-ed, college-preparatory boarding/day school enrolling 230 students in grades 9-12. Founded in 1930, the School provides a rigorous, global curriculum in academics, arts, athletics and the outdoors in a diverse community to develop young adults who are courageous, open-minded, self-reliant, curious, and compassionate. This is a full-time, 12-month (July 1 – June 30) administrative position reporting to the head of school and working with the Digital Media and Communications Manager. This position is responsible for raising the school’s visibility, advancing its brand, and articulating clear messaging to internal and external constituencies. The primary objective of the Institutional Communications Coordinator is to create and communicate a compelling story about FVS.
The Institutional Communications Coordinator will be expected to:
- Work with the Communications Team in the design, creation, and implementation of a comprehensive marketing and communications strategy that incorporates and assesses ROI on all audiences and stakeholders.
- Develop a communications work plan, based on the data-driven strategy, for each school year that includes a calendar of events, activities, communications, and publications.
- Coordinate, edit, and produce the annual Bulletin, the School’s annual print publication.
- Oversee the production of a variety of materials meant to increase the school’s visibility and competitive positioning and enhance the public’s perception of the school.
- Identify emerging marketing opportunities, design effective targeting strategies, and report on results.
- Partner with program directors and academic departments chairs to ensure brand and message quality and consistency across all media, programs, and channels, including the promulgation of press releases to local, regional, and national media outlets.
- Develop meaningful relationships with local and state-wide media. Develop a portfolio of news and feature stories to place on a regular basis.
- Partner with Head of School, Assistant Head of School, and Deans Office to distill and prioritize critical messaging for internal and external constituents including current parents, students and employees.
- Partner with internal and external constituents to draft and edit speeches for key school events such as Commencement and Reunion.
- In collaboration with other key members of the team, review and revise an effective crisis communications plan and ensure understanding across all departments and stakeholders.
- Manage market research initiatives and oversee all surveys and feedback initiatives.
- Engage in professional development in order to remain current in best practices of independent and boarding school communications, emerging social media technologies, and effective marketing strategies, as well as the changing interests of prospective audiences and the changing competitive landscape.
- Participate actively in the work and success of the leadership team to provide support for all school events and activities as appropriate.
- Outstanding organizational and presentation skills
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills
- A commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion and the ability to build consensus and partnerships with a broad range of stakeholders.
- A high level of emotional intelligence and the ability to leverage this strength to create a happy, high-functioning work environment.
- Proven ability to effectively lead, manage, and inspire a collaborative team in a fast-paced environment with multiple creative projects
- Creative and artistic vision and direction
- Experience in graphic design and management of design production
- Demonstrated experience in photography, videography, and video editing
- Significant experience with website content management systems and digital design tools
- Strong understanding of social media marketing and digital advertising platforms such as Facebook Business and Google AdWords
- Demonstrated success as a confident problem solver
- Proven track record as an independent and goal-oriented with a dedication to being organized and meeting deadlines
- Deep knowledge of the principles of marketing and communications and fluency using digital marketing channels and social media effectively.
- Demonstrated success in managing multiple projects with shifting priorities and competing deadlines, demonstrating quantifiable results.
- Ability to demonstrate the return on investment of key marketing programs.
- Cultural competency, ability to interact and work effectively with diverse students and colleagues, to communicate across cultures; an open, inclusive approach to the workplace
- Ability to develop, monitor and adhere to budgets and production schedules
- Actively participate in the life of the School by being a visible presence at meals, meetings, events, productions, and games
- Possible weekend, weeknight duties; advisees; Interim and on-call emergency
Knowledge and Skills:
- Significant experience with the Adobe Creative Suite including InDesign, Photoshop, Premiere, Illustrator, and Acrobat
- Fluency in the Google Suite of applications
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office
- Experience with print production and outdoor signage
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Excellent analytical, communication and social skills
- Commitment to customer service
- Strong attention to detail
- Team player with a strong capacity for initiative
Bachelor’s degree in English, journalism, public relations, communications, and/or marketing; a master’s degree preferred; 7+ years of experience in marketing and communications and is knowledgeable about current trends and best practices in independent schools and nonprofit organizations; adapts to change and innovation; supports the school culture of predictability and support; maintains confidential information; generates innovative solutions; demonstrates attention to detail; possesses a high level of organization and time management, patience, and reliability.
- Environment: indoor classroom working with some outdoor events.
- Physical demands: able to sit and stand for at least 8 hours per day; must be able to lift 40 lb.
- Attendance at certain community events will be required.
- Working relationships: students, parents, admission office, development office, and all other employees.
Salary Range: $55,000 - $65,000 depending on experience
FVS’ Core Values are courage, compassion, curiosity, self-reliance, and open-mindedness. FVS supports a culture of communication and collaboration with the intent of creating an environment of predictability and support for our students, parents, and colleagues. FVS employees celebrate diversity, participate fully in the school community, embrace the power of the prairie, the peaks, and the history of the School. FVS teaching faculty challenge students, create opportunities for learning and growth beyond the academic day, employ innovative teaching methods, and pursue professional and personal development through lifelong learning.
Fountain Valley School of Colorado provides a transformative curriculum in a supportive environment where students are challenged to think critically, become leaders, and live by our core values: Courage, Compassion, Curiosity, Self-Reliance, Open-Mindedness.
Send letter of application, resume and list of three professional references to:
Fountain Valley School of Colorado
Colorado Springs, CO 80911