FVS is an 1100-acre refuge amidst a region populated by more than 700,000 people. Last spring, with a smaller community of students, teachers and their families living on campus, we were able to maintain the integrity of our community quarantine, and we have fortunately remained COVID-free thus far.
We have an extraordinary opportunity ahead of us to learn, live and work together and to benefit from the social-emotional support of being in close proximity to others when so many others have and continue to experience crushing isolation. Do not take this for granted. It will require a collective commitment to others and a level of vigilance to which we are not accustomed in order to ensure that FVS remains a safe haven from this global pandemic.
Your actions and those of the people with whom you live and socialize will have a profound impact on the lives of the hundreds of individuals that comprise the FVS community. This includes infants and young children, people with compromised immune systems, elderly individuals, and countless others near and dear to you who are your friends, your teachers, and your family.
Our situation can change overnight as a result of just one person letting their guard down—even if only momentarily—and thus jeopardizing all that we have. And while this plan will help mitigate this risk, we must be explicit in our expectations and resolute in our commitment to disciplined mindfulness and behavior.
All students/parents, faculty, and staff will be required to sign a COVID-19 Waiver and Release. Additionally, parents will be required to sign a Declaration of Health on behalf of their child in advance of their arrival on campus. Additionally, all students and employees are required to make the following Community Commitment:
As a member of the Fountain Valley School community, I commit to:
- Strictly adhering to the School’s Health and Well-Being Protocols and responding respectfully to reminders to do so. These include but are not limited to: wearing a mask, maintaining physical distancing, washing my hands, practicing good hygiene, and avoiding large gatherings—both on campus AND if I am off campus.
- Learning about the ways in which COVID-19 is transmitted and being proactive to minimize my risk of exposure and the risk of exposing others.
- Monitoring my health closely, reporting any symptoms honestly and immediately to the FVS Health Center, and following their instructions.
- Adhering to all quarantine and/or isolation requirements from the School.
- Making smart choices about where I go, what I do, and those with whom I interact—both on campus AND if I am off campus.
- Supporting those around me as we rise to these challenges together, and similarly, I commit to seeking help when I need it.