FVS sends between 50-60 students on international Interims each year. These students immerse themselves in an unfamiliar culture (and usually a language) for 7-12 days in March. The classroom-without-walls often includes a home stay and a community service project. In recent years students have traveled to the Dominican Republic, France, Puerto Rico, China and Nepal.Clubs
Examples of qualified current FVS clubs are International Student Club, Global Affairs Forum, Student Cultural Organization, Hispanic Honor Society, French Club and Chinese Club.
International Events On and Off Campus
Examples including participating in the annual Language Tables event, Winter Celebration, Earth Day, Unity Day, weekend activities (e.g., Chinese New Year), home hosting opportunities for both day and boarding students during vacations and Frautschi Campus Center flag identification.
Students from 21 countries reside on campus, so there are ample opportunities to learn more about other cultures.
Local resources include:
- Hawley Library—international and foreign language newspapers, periodicals, dictionaries, databases and foreign films
- International expertise of faculty
- Growing body of international alumni and alumni parents
- International student awareness of and connection to home nation web sources
- Colorado College, with international student houses and events
- Chinese and Korean markets in Colorado Springs
- U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs World Affairs Council, and other intellectual and policy resources to develop student awareness